Sunday, April 28, 2013

X is for Xylophone

X is for Xylophone. Why? Xylophones are cool! They're not just kids toys, they're a serious instrument  found many orchestras' percussion sections. It's a percussion instrument because it uses force and vibration to create sound, like a drum. Only instead of striking a flexible surface such as a stretch canvas of a drum, the musician strikes one made of metal, wood, or ceramic tiles.

Xylophones and their many variations have been around since man's earliest history. However the modern version we're familiar with has been in use since the 1860s. It was first used in an orchestra in 1874 in the performance of Camille Saint-Saëns' "Danse Macabre". 

Well enough talking about how cool they are. Just kick back and have a listen :)



Part of Blogging from A to Z for the letter X

2 comments:

  1. I remember playing the toy xylophone when I was younger. Xylophones are fun!

    Sania at Embracing Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danse Macabre is one of my very favorite classical music songs!

    I thought about the song, and I can hear the xylophone part in my head now, I hadn't even thought about a xylophone being in there. Makes me want to listen to it again, I think I will!

    Nice to meet you on the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!